An empties post is long overdue for my stash, and it’s been building up since April when I did my last beauty bin post. I’ve got a good mix of makeup, skincare, and body care this edition.
- Philosophy Purity Cleanser 30ml: I enjoyed this cleanser for an everyday clean, nothing special. I don’t think your cleanser should be anything fancy, just kind to your skin if it’s sensitive. It’s a combination between a gel and cream cleanser.
Repurchase: No, Philosophy is not cruelty-free.
- Divine Woman Cream Cleanser*: I actually forgot I finished this deluxe sample size as I left it in my shower for ages! I didn’t enjoy the scent, from what I remember it was a strong citrus. This cleanser didn’t ‘wow’ me for the price of the full size.
Repurchase: No, I don’t think it’s worth it for the price. It’s $55 for only 100ml. A little crazy!
- Philosophy Microexfoliating Daily Cleanser: I really enjoyed this product and it was a repurchase with a birthday voucher in 2017. It lasts absolutely ages. It has a gooey lightly beaded texture and more of a soft yellow colour. I found this worked really well to cleanse my skin but also keep it smoother than otherwise. I’ve invested in proper exfoliating products a year or so ago, as I found this wasn’t enough in Winter and with drying foundations, but generally, it was. I first started purchasing this nearly four years ago when I was in New York!
Repurchase: Unfortunately not as Philosophy isn’t cruelty-free.
- Origins Original Skin Rose Retexturizing Mask with Rose Clay x2: I really liked this mask from Origins, more than the regular grey clay one, and 100% more than the green bottle moisturising one. I found this left my skin smoother because of the clay beaded particles in it which worked to gently exfoliate my skin. I had two deluxe mini sizes of this from when I purchased an Origins gift pack from Sephora US through Shop and Box last year.
Repurchase: No, as Origins isn’t cruelty-free. Out of all of the Origins masks though, this is the only one I would recommend.
- Chantecaille Jasmine and Lilly Healing Mask: I received this in a Mecca Beauty Loop box one quarter and I didn’t really like it the first few times I used it. It didn’t really do anything different to my skin.
Repurchase: No, wasn’t impressed.
- Formula 10.0.6 Deep Down Detox Ultra Cleansing Mud Mask: I bought this about three years ago when Priceline was having a sale because I remembered liking it as a teenager. Unfortunately, it’s actually way too harsh for my skin and I didn’t end up using it very often as it left my skin feeling tight and dry, a feeling I was after in my teens but not as an adult!
Repurchase: Not a chance!
- Drunk Elephant LaLa Retro Whipped Cream Moisturiser: I really enjoyed this mini! It was basic, dried quickly, and sat really nicely under my makeup. I didn’t usually use it at night as I used the Marula Oil on its own but I would likely use this over the top if I went again. I purchased this in “The Littles” set I bought from Mecca and it lasted every morning use from May to late July – I was pretty impressed for 15ml!
Repurchase: The full-size is $88 but I think I would repurchase once I have worked my way through my five remaining moisturisers. The other main contender I want to try in my collection is the Go-To Skincare moisturiser. Once I’ve used that I will decide which I’d like to repurchase.
- Philosophy Renewed Hope In A Jar Night Moisturiser: I liked the first of these I had, but the second one didn’t sit as well. I found it to be really heavy, even for night time, and also leave a bit of excess grease.
Repurchase: No, I prefer the daytime version overall – but Philosophy also isn’t cruelty-free.
- Bioderma Micellar Water: I bought this in the skincare sale last year and it ended up lasting me almost an entire year! I used it from around October 2017 until July 2018. I do think it does a good job, but to me, most micellar waters will do the same job so I am not sad about losing it. My only disappointment with this was the packaging as I thought the largest bottles had a push top but this one didn’t, you had to do it yourself.
Repurchase: No, not cruelty-free. I also don’t tend to repurchase micellar waters.
- Drunk Elephant B-Hydra Gel: This is to be used before moisturisers or oils so it was the only product I used day and night. The 8ml sample still lasted over three months this way! I did like this, but at $75 for the full size, I didn’t feel it did enough to justify being bought. I am glad I tried it over Winter as that’s when I am driest but yeah.
Repurchase: No, unless it came as a mini in a set again.
- Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum: Did anyone else think this smelt like HAM? I couldn’t stand this purely for the scent in the beginning but a few weeks in I got used to it. I do think it did a nice job brightening my skin in the morning, and I enjoyed the overall effect. There are a few other vitamin C serums on the market that I will do some research on but probably won’t try many more as I was happy with this one. This 8ml lasted 3.5 months.
Repurchase: It’s $116 for the full size and I have heard it goes off quickly (when it turns more orange) so I think I would probably stick to the minis to ensure they’re at their best. I may buy the full size in the future.
- Drunk Elephant TLC Glycolic Framboos Night Serum: I’m not going to pretend to know all about skincare, but I like the smoothing effect this gave my skin at night. I did find it to sting a little the first few times but quickly got used to it and it didn’t sting after the first week. I think this did a great job at daily exfoliating. This 8ml lasted four months.
Repurchase: Yes, I liked the effect. I need to research about the difference between this and Alpha H’s Liquid Gold + Pixi’s Glow Tonic as they may conflict and I need to use those up first.
- Drunk Elephant Shaba Complex Eye Serum: I am not a big eye cream person, and I didn’t really like the scent of this. I found the texture to be a bit runny and the pump definitely put out too much of the cream. This 4ml lasted three months.
Repurchase: No, I’d like to try other eye creams.
Repurchase: Definitely. I plan to use up the remaining moisturisers in my collection and then repurchase another body butter. This scent was subtle and inoffensive.
- QV Skin Lotion*: I first accepted the PR package this came in as I thought they were cruelty-free, however as time went on I wasn’t satisfied with the evidence so I used this up and gave away the other products. This was fine, a bit boring and the scent was plain but inoffensive. Would have preferred something thicker.
Repurchase: No, it’s not cruelty-free and wasn’t as pleasant to use as the Body Shop one.